- About Overview
- About the Students
- Facts and Figures About the School
- Graduation Rate and Graduate Performance
- Honors and Awards
- Media Coverage
- Employer Opportunities to Connect
- Admissions Overview
- Estimated Annual Cost of Attendance
- Application Process
- Application Process Overview
- Step 1: Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Step 2: The Application
- Step 2: The Application Overview
- Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) Application
- Application Processing Fee
- Checklist: Transcripts
- Keep Your Contact Info Current During the Admissions Process
- Step 3: Interview Process
- Step 4: After Applying
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information Sessions
- UCSF Visits You
- Applying Without U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Post-Baccalaureate Program
- Student Life
Science-based thinking has been an essential part of our PharmD curriculum for decades.
It’s also at the heart of everything we do at the UCSF School of Pharmacy. This approach is supported by UCSF as a whole, where we work together to advance knowledge focused on improving health.
We’re in the midst of transforming our PharmD curriculum, building upon our historical success at guiding students to question the status quo, identify problems, and think through solutions while developing into skilled, compassionate, patient-centered pharmacists. It’s an exciting time to be a UCSF PharmD student, to be a part of and to benefit from this evolution.
The curriculum is rigorous—yet flexible—innovative, and intellectually exciting. Delivered over three years, year round, it:
- Purposefully integrates five components: 1) foundations, 2) integrated themes, 3) discovery projects, 4) practice experiences, and 5) applied patient care skills
- Gradually builds what you learn, through coursework that’s cumulative and continually reinforced
- Encourages curiosity through projects tailored to your individual interests
- Supports collaboration through intense team-based discussions and problem solving
- Evolves through a steady application of science-based thinking across all coursework
It’s a science-based, integrated, and experiential education that prepares ambitious minds for diverse and dynamic careers in pharmacy and beyond.
As a result, our graduates are ready to build on their pharmacy expertise through advanced training beyond the PharmD degree.
Curriculum transformation must be ongoing to stay current. That’s what we believe, and it’s how we approach the development of our PharmD program.
For a fuller explanation of our program, please review the Curriculum Concept page.
Learn about the evolving plans for the curriculum for 2018 and beyond: