- About the PharmD
- Admissions Overview
- Policies and Disclosures
- Financial Aid and Cost
- Application Process
- Application Process Overview
- Step 1: Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Step 2: The Application
- Step 2: The Application Overview
- Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) Application
- Application Processing Fee
- Checklist: Transcripts
- Keep Your Contact Info Current During the Admissions Process
- Step 3: Interview Process
- Step 4: After Applying
- Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
- Applying Without U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- PharmD-PhD Dual Degree
- Post-Baccalaureate Program
- Student Life
- Info For...
About Submitting Applicant Recommendations
How to submit letters of recommendation
- Use PharmCAS: Use the PharmCAS Electronic Letters of Recommendation (eLOR) service to submit the recommendations that are required for a complete application.
- Don’t send to UCSF: Do not submit any recommendations to UCSF.
To access the PharmCAS eLOR service, and for instructions on how to submit these recommendations, log into your PharmCAS account and select References from the Checklist.
Number of recommendations required
- You must provide either 3 or 4 recommendations. If you submit fewer than 3 recommendations, your application will be considered incomplete and is subject to cancellation. If you submit more than 4 recommendations, additional ones will be discarded. We strongly suggest at least 1 recommendation be from a person who knows you through your college-level academic work.
- Reapplicants: You must provide at least 1 but no more than 4 new recommendations. If you fail to submit at least 1 new recommendation, your application will be considered incomplete and is subject to cancellation. If you submit more than 4 recommendations, additional ones will be discarded.
Final Deadline: December 1
Although we have a Final deadline of December 1, we encourage applicants to consider submitting all materials by our Priority deadline of October 2. All recommendations must be received by PharmCAS no later than the December 1 Final deadline. If any of your recommendations are late, your application will be considered incomplete and will be canceled. You are responsible for ensuring that your recommenders meet the application deadline. For more information on our Priority deadline and Final deadline, visit our Admissions Director’s blog.
Select your recommenders carefully. Each one should know you well enough to provide us with an assessment of your academic aptitude, communication skills, and potential for a professional career. We strongly suggest at least 1 recommendation be from a person who knows you through your college-level academic work. This is usually, but does not have to be, a professor. We will not accept letters from friends or family members.
About letter services
The PharmCAS eLOR service will accept letters from a letter service. See the PharmCAS application instructions for information on how these letters should be submitted.
About personal letters of recommendation
The PharmCAS eLOR service will accept personal letters of recommendation. See the PharmCAS application instructions for information on how your evaluator can submit a paper recommendation.
More on this topic in our admissions director’s blog
Although not required reading, you’ll find additional comments in Are Letters of Recommendation really THAT important?, a blog post by Admissions Director Joel W. Gonzales.
Go to: PharmCAS Application